Friday, July 26, 2013

Nine Lives- My Views

Nine Lives by William Dalrymple
It's about 9 different people and their way of living which is-as the name suggests it- nine different ways. By ways I mean religious beliefs which in turn then include society and their interaction with it or their understanding of society.
It's a very good book though the author seems disgusted at the lives that his various protagonists lead.
It was upsetting to see that the author wrote about the men and women of different, sometimes unconventional, religious beliefs with such a narrow minded perspective towards them. It shows through clearly from his language and choice of words.
I do not expect him to understand the lives of his protagonists but I did expect him to be tolerant and respectful towards them, especially since he willingly chose to write about them and their lives.
Anyway, the book by itself is not spectacular but the stories are.
I hope I read more books like this but by better authors.
Give it a read, but do so with an open mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?