Saturday, June 14, 2014

50 Shades of Grey - Review Part 1

Hello Everybody,
Firstly please bear in mind that this book review might not be suitable for children. It may have explicit words or connotations. 
That being said I've been reading 50 Shades of Grey and 169 pages into it, I can honestly say, I'm not charmed. I get the whole-  ultra rich unattainable gorgeous guy who falls for a poor okay-ish, never been touched 21-year-old American virgin. I get the appeal of it. You know how a lot of us would like a hot rich dude to fall for us and  look at us like the sun shines out of us and etc, etc but there is a lot more that can get a book moving and or juices flowing. There is so much more that could have been done with it! Character given depths, stronger plots and sub plots, better, more apt, more colorful characters, vivid scenery, some office politics, but nope, it’s a good old straight up mills and boons with added sexual ammunition.  

I don't care about the sexual content in the sense that it doesn’t bother me. The author wrote a book filled with sex, okay well then. Who doesn't like explicit, brash, unsophisticated, raw sex that seems to be written by a 17-year-old high on sexual fantasies ? Well I don't but doesn't mean you shouldn't. What I do have an issue with is the style of writing with the lack of character depth or plots or sub plots or actually anything at all. The author seems to have made  NO effort what so ever to give the characters depths. We know their traits and that one questions too much and the other takes good photos and that's it, but who are they? What are their stories? Why are they relevant to the plot, or the book or to the protagonist? We have no idea. Where does she live? What does it look like? Is the wind too strong? Is her coffee to dark? Something so small that just a mere sentence could have sufficed and yet so important that it would’ve given the reader the full picture. She goes straight from sex, no sex, sex, email, bad email, sex. I mean you get the point.
So far, I must say it's an utter disappointment. If, however you couldn't care less about writing style then this books isn't atrocious.
Let's see what else this book has in store for me. 
On the good end of all of this, I picked up a good ol' P.G Wodehouse! So I'm not in tremendous literary pain. 
More when I finish the book! 

Till then, keep right, read loads!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?